Internships at the Eugene Mission span a wide range of programs allowing students to gain valuable experience in everything from marketing and development to social work and counseling. We are excited to serve the needy in our community and invite you to be a part of this good work during the course of your education.
Fill out our internship application.
All internships are unpaid and will require 8-12 hours a week in an assigned field of responsibility. Depending on the internship, mandatory hours may be scheduled outside of normal business hours and may include weekend shifts. Quarterly internships are generally offered in alignment with college quarters – summer, fall, winter, & spring – and are evenly divided over the year. Accommodations can be made for programs on a semester system.
Counseling and Social Service Internship Program
Though these services are much needed by our guests, there is no guaranty of one-on-one counseling or case management. You are responsible for recruiting guests for services and building your own case load. Internships in counseling and social services are evenly split between the Men’s and the Women’s Centers with male interns working with our male guests and female interns working with female guests.
- (2) Counseling: We offer two yearlong Counseling Internships which work with our general guest populations and, alongside social services, will provide one-on-one case management as needed.
- (10) Social Services: We offer two yearlong and two quarterly Social Service Internships per quarter, which work alongside our Social Service Director to provide one-on-one case management as needed.
Guest Services Internship Program
Like counseling and social services, Guest Service Interns work directly with our guests to meet their daily needs. Guest Services Internships are designed to give hands on experience in the operations of a wellness center and expose you to the realities of serving a homeless population.
- (5) Ministry: We offer one year long internship and one quarterly internship per a quarter which organize and lead chapels, bible studies, and prayer groups for our general guest populations in the three different center: Men’s, Women’s, and Mother’s & Children.
- (8) Food Service: Each quarter, we offer two Food Service Internships. Under the direction of the Kitchen Director, interns will assist in preparing and serving over 600 meals a day with volunteer, guest and Life Change participant assistance. Responsibilities may also include receiving and sorting food donations, stocking kitchen supplies, food rotation, facilitating kitchen volunteer groups, and administrative tasks related to the kitchen as well as leading cooking lessons and meal planning.
- (24) Staff Support: In each of our three centers, we offer two quarterly internships per a quarter – one morning intern and one evening intern – which work alongside our Guest Services Supervisors and support staff in meeting the day-to-day needs of our general guest populations. You will assist in providing hospitality services for our guests and encouraging them towards healthier choices. Staff Support Internships are split between the Men’s , Women’s, and Women & Children’s Centers with male interns working with our male guests and female interns working with female guests.
Non-Profit Organization Support Internship Program
Interns in this program support the overreaching work of the mission within their area emphasis. Interns will get an inside look at the daily operations of a nonprofit organization and be a part of our growth as we strive to meet the growing needs in our community.
- (5) Development: We offer one year long and one quarterly internship per a quarter in Development. Interns work under the direction of senior management helping implement the Eugene Mission fundraising and development goals.
- (4) Marketing: Each quarter, we offer one internship in marketing. Interns will assist with and/or lead writing, film, and social media projects per development needs across a wide breath of mission departments. Graphic design and social media platform management skills a plus.
- (4) Volunteer: We offer one quarterly internship per quarter that supports the Volunteer Coordinator in recruitment, placement and supervision of volunteers. Responsibilities will include event planning.
- (4) Admin: Each quarter, we offer four Administration internships. Admin interns provide office support on a variety of levels and responsibilities will include receptionist duties and project management.
Life Change Program Internship Program
Interns in our Life Change Program, our faith-based residential relapse prevention program, have the opportunity to be a part of the true and lasting life change possible through Christ and through hard work on recovery. We focus on the three keys to Life Change: Recovery, Life Skills and Discipleship and believe that true wellness is founded in a relationship with Christ. Interns will be a part of the daily routine in Life Change, sitting in on classes, leading group activities and supporting staff in a variety of ways. Life Change interns are evenly split between the Men’s and the Women’s Life Change programs with male interns working with our Men’s Program and female interns working with our Women’s Program.
- (8) Teaching: Each quarter, we offer two quarterly teaching internships which support Life Change staff in teaching a selection of Life Skills classes as well as leading Work Therapy groups.
- (9) Ministry: We offer one year long internship and two quarterly ministry internships per quarter which support the Life Change staff in teaching Discipleship and Life Skills classes, one-on-one mentoring, and leading Work Therapy groups and Chapel.
Please Provide the Following Application Materials:
- A cover letter introducing your personality and interests as well as a current resume
- Any internship requirements from your academic institution
- Completed application
What to Expect Next:
- After we receive and review your application materials, we will contact you within two weeks to schedule a tour of our facilities and interview with the Intern Program Coordinator.
- If it seems like a good fit, we will proceed to an interview with your future manager who may request a trial volunteer shift to evaluate your aptitude and flexibility on the job.
- After interviews, we will select interns and inform you of our decision. You have one week to accept or the opportunity will be offered to another applicant.